14 January 2009

The first half of the first week

I've finally started student teaching!! I've officially had students for two and a half days! Monday was a half day, so parents could come in and have conferences with teachers about goal setting and any other questions they may have. I got to teach my first class yesterday! In the morning my mentor and I team taught the first two periods of the day. He coaches 9th grade girls basketball and he had to go to Cheyenne for a game so he left about noon and left the classroom to me in the afternoon. We don't have many afternoon classes though, our planning period is from 12-12:44 and then we have lunch from 12:44-1:14 and then we have our 7th period class (which is pre-algebra) until about 2:00 and from 2-2:30 there is a connections class where the students read for 30 minutes and then school is out! My mentor had requested a substitute for the time that he was gone so I was not alone in the room, but I taught the lesson, at least until the lockdown! It had been a very long time since I had been involved in a lockdown and I wasn't completely sure of what to do, but I did what I remembered my teachers doing and had the students fill in the rest. It worked out pretty well and the students behaved too, so all in all I felt like it was a pretty successful day, even though we did not get through everything that we needed to. By the end of the day today I think that I have about 1/2 of my 115 students's names figured out, which means I still have a ways to go. I do alright until they move around, then I get confused. Hopefully I will get the other half by the end of the week and I don't forget any over the long 3 day weekend! That is about all that I have to report for now, but I'll make sure to keep you posted if anything else exciting happens. I believe I'm teaching some portions of the lessons tomorrow and probably Friday as well, so if anything exciting happens I'll make sure to write about it!

No comments: