27 March 2009

One Job Fair Down...One more to Go!

I have returned! This last week has been cRaZy!!! We began by getting around 18 inches of snow on Monday and having school canceled in the middle of the day. The next day school was completely canceled due to the blizzard. We were also supposed to have a teacher fair down in Laramie on Tuesday and Wednesday but it had been postponed until April due to the blizzard that hit most of Wyoming. Wednesday school was on as normally scheduled, however Megan and I were leaving early so we could miss more snow and make it safely to Greeley, CO for a job fair. We got down there safely and were all ready for the job fair to begin Thursday morning. We woke up early so we could get there before a huge crowd of people. However, we missed that boat even though we showed up 1/2 an hour before the fair began. In the lobby of our hotel we met a nice man from Lincoln, NE who was also attending the job fair but as a recruiter for Lincoln Public Schools. We talked with him and he gave us some nice hints about the fair. Once the fair began I went to a lot of districts to sign up for interviews for later that day and Friday. I got signed up for interviews with Elbert School District (Elbert, CO), Colorado Springs School District #11 (Colorado Springs, CO), Thompson School District (Loveland, CO), Poudre Valley School District (Ft. Collins, CO), Fountain/Ft. Carson School District (Fountain/Ft. Carson, CO), and Lincoln Public Schools (Lincoln, NE). When I went to the Lincoln table the man we had met earlier remembered me and even remembered that I was the math teacher in the group! I was very impressed and we chatted for a little while and then I signed up for an interview. I met back up with Megan and Abby (another girl that came with us) and we compared our schedules and school districts that we had interviews with. Then we went and found a quiet corner and set up "camp". We all began researching the districts we had signed up for and ate the lunch we had packed. We would occasionally stop and look outside because there was a horrible blizzard going on. Around 12:30 Megan went back down to the fair and discovered people were packing everything up! She asked around and discovered that the university was closing and the afternoon of the fair was going to be canceled and wouldn't open again until 9am! So we packed all of our stuff up and went back to the hotel. The roads were terrible and it took us about a half hour to get all the way back when it is normally a 10 minute drive! We spent the rest of the evening in the hotel preparing for our interviews the next day and relaxing.
The following day went pretty well, we got in our interviews and we all felt pretty good about them. I found several places that I thought sounded like they would be pretty nice to work at. I am especially interested in Lincoln, NE. This took me by surprise because the only reason I signed up for an interview there was because we had met the recruiter Thursday morning. They have what sounds like a great mentor teacher program, the University of Nebraska is in Lincoln as well so there are a lot of opportunities to extend my education and the school district has a deal going with UNL that takes off half of the cost of classes! Another thing that could help sway me towards Lincoln is that Brandon is considering graduate school at UNL. I guess for now we'll just have to wait and see!

No comments: