05 February 2010

You Don't Wanna Miss...

My world premiere! The last month or so I have been helping out with the school musical/play. This is the first one SMHS has put on for 3 years and has been a lot of work. I've never done anything with drama...ever. I always enjoyed watching the performances and was always involved with the school choir. However, this is a very new experience for me in many different ways! I was recruited to help with the music sometime in November by the student director. I agreed and helped out with auditions and casting. Once we came back to school from Christmas break, rehearsals started. Now, we've only had about 4 or 5 rehearsals but within those rehearsals I have discovered why it is called drama! We've had issues with "who" our director was and who wasn't the director...(long story!) The latest bit of drama came last night. (For some background info, we are doing the play Anastasia) Tatiana (or Empress Marie as some of you may know her) is Anastasia's grandmother and has a rather important role in the play. It isn't too large, but it is definitely one of the roles that stands out. We had cast a girl from Encampment as this part and things were going very well, that is, until last night! She came to rehearsal and asked when we had scheduled our performances and then got a bit of a sad look on her face. This is when she proceeded to inform us that she would be in New Mexico for an art contest (?) that entire week... So, we no longer had our Tatiana. We continued the rehearsal with her in the part the rest of the night and at the end had a meeting (without the cast) to figure out our next steps. We discussed several of our options when someone asked me (you know, the one without any drama experience) if I would be willing to play the part as Tatiana. I thought about it a little bit, and agreed to take the role. So, here's to my new adventure! Oh, and for all of you who are wondering, the performances will be May 7th (7:00 pm) and May 8th (2:00 pm) at the community center here in town.

Well, I am off to finish cleaning my house and practice my lines! HA! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that's crazy. I like how you're confused about the art contest (?)... Oh so I totally want to come see that but it's kind of on graduation day. And I might be at an iron conference up until that day... hmm sad!!!!